- Please request inspections on-line or by calling the office at 978-623-8620. If you get a recorded message please leave a voicemail indicating the permit number, address and type of inspection requested as well as a contact name and number.
- Staff will return your call and schedule the inspection within 24 hours.
- On the morning of the inspection the appropriate inspector will contact you between 8:00am and 10:00am to work out the specific details as to how the inspection will be conducted.
The mission of the Building Division is to ensure the health, safety and welfare of the Town's residents and visitors through the enforcement of the State and local laws, bylaws and regulations.
About the Division
The Building Division is charged with the enforcement and interpretation of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts State Building Code 780 CMR and the Access Regulations, 521 CMR, as adopted, Article VIII of the Andover Code, Andover Zoning Bylaw, and Chapter 40A of Massachusetts General Laws. The Building Division also enforces Article 33 of the Andover Bylaw, Demolition of Historically Significant Buildings and Structures, and Article 36 of the Andover Bylaw, Ballardvale Historic District Bylaw.
The Division enforces the compliance of the conditions on the Variances and Special Permits granted by the Zoning Board of Appeals, and assists in the enforcement of the Planning Board restrictions of the Site Plan Certificates of Approval. The Division issues permits for all construction regulated by the State Building Codes, and performs all related inspections. The Division works in cooperation with the Andover Fire Department for fire protection of all new and existing buildings. Included within the Building Division are the Electrical Inspector, Plumbing Inspector and Sealer of Weights and Measures.
The Building Division issues permits for all types of construction including, but not limited to:
- Additions and alterations to all structures
- Commercial and industrial buildings
- Institutional buildings (nursing homes)
- Multi-family as well as single family dwellings
- School buildings (both public and private)
The Building Division issues permits for all types of construction and performs periodic inspections for those buildings.
The Electrical Inspector is responsible for receiving and granting permits and scheduling inspections on a daily basis, approving electrical plans for new buildings, and inspecting commercial and residential jobs.
Plumbing and Gas Inspections issues permits for installation of gas piping, plumbing and sewer installations and repairs. Inspections are conducted as necessary to ensure compliance with State codes.
The Board issues special permits, grants variances and comprehensive permits, and hears appeals from decisions of the Building Commissioner or other administrative officer.
Find fee schedules, application forms and checklists for Building Division permits and functions.
The Town of Andover is pleased to offer licensed contractors and home/property owners the ability to apply, pay for, and receive building, electrical, gas, plumbing, and mechanical permits online through ViewPermit, our permitting partner.
- What are the zoning setbacks for a pool (above ground pool, shed, etc.)? Do I need a fence around the pool?
- Do I need a permit for a fence? What requirements apply?
- What is a plot plan? Where can I get a plot plan? Where is the Registry of Deeds?
- If my property is listed in the Ballardvale Historic District or on the Mass Historic Register, how does that affect my Building Permit application?
- Can you tell me if this lot is "buildable"? What is a “hundred-percent-upland” rule?
- Can I do my own electrical work as the homeowner?
- Do I need to get a permit for small jobs?
- Do I need an electrical permit for an above-ground pool?
- Why can’t I do plumbing and gas fitting work as the homeowner?
- Why do I need permits?